Monday 18 September 2017

Bangkok General Post Office ไปรษณีย์กลาง บางรัก


The General Post Office is a fascinating building - not all all what I expected.

"The General Post Office, also known as the Grand Postal Building, is a historic building in Bang Rak District of Bangkok. Built in 1940 on the former site of the British Legation, it was designed by architects Sarot Sukkhayang and Mew Aphaiwong in a mixture of Art Deco and International Style architecture which reflected the desire of the ruling People's Party to project a modern and powerful image of the state"
"The building is now being developed as the offices of the Thailand Creative & Design Center."

The building is clearly special but I am not sure what the ground floor (if at all) 



is used for and I did find a room where there was some Post Office staff.



On venturing past this I came across what reminded me of the Design Museum in the UK (some 30 years ago).  



It was certainly an interesting place.


I walked in and there was this display above and the staff were so welcoming I was quite taken.



There was the chance for a guided tour.



I made my way to the top in the lift and came across a coffee shop and a number of students - I felt really quite old.



The roof was then something quite special.



This was the view. There was an abundance of things to see and I would have to return to see it all - and the coffee was good...



Then there was a Stamp Market outside... 




No comments:

Post a Comment