Sunday 12 October 2014

มูลนิธิกุศลธรรมภูเก็ต - A Chinese Shrine and more


มูลนิธิกุศลธรรมภูเก็ต is a Chinese Shrine which I first visited to make a blessing for my birthdaySince then I found out that I visited here when I had an accident in the Phuket Vegetarian Festival 2012 - they are also a place connected to a Hospital.


This Shrine is technically not a Chinese Shrine, looking at the descriptions it is an attached place of worship to the Hospital, Association and the School adjacent to it.


The Shrine is on the outskirts of Phuket Town and is set back from the road. There is a car park in front, on the left is the school and then in front is an open Shrine. So I would treat this like a Shrine but it is not referred to as a Shrine in the Internet guides and in Foursquare but I will.


Walking in you walk through an open door where you are able to purchase donations to the shrine - this is necessary (remember to take off your shoes as you enter).



There is an opportunity to shake the sticks here, ring the bell and make a donation.



The Shrine downstairs is an electric version - these are becoming more common. Then take the steps up on the right hand side - and them later down on the left hand side.



When you walk upstairs the Shrine is similar but upstairs have conch's / blocks to toss.



The Shrine is open to the outside and people will ask for blessings out here into the distance - apparently it is not necessary to have an Idol if this situation exists.




The top shrine has a second place for asking for blessing, shaking the sticks and ringing a bell.



The third shrine is also an electronic shrine but I am happy that they do not have a money slot and seem to be the same. Noticing the small cups of Chinese tea in front I would imagine that taking care of the Shrines is an intense job - thank you.




Interestingly (for me) I found that there were idols which had cloaks on and they do not normally have cloaks on - I would imagine that this is similar to when the Buddhist images are 'dressed' at a particular time of the year?



My favourite are the icons which are draped with necklaces - reminding me of the necklaces that I always hope to get given during the Phuket Vegetarian Festival.


Previous Visits
 1 ) My Birthday 2014  

No comments:

Post a Comment