Saturday 21 September 2013

Eat some Local Food - Bugs!


Come to a different country and Eat some Local Food.


As part of my job working in Phuket I try to explain many things to visitors to this wonderful place with such a myriad of things to discuss.





But I cannot talk about the reality of eating bugs!

A question that I am always asked by the visitors and I have to admit that I have tried twice.



Once (about 10 years ago) at the Cape Panwa promenade when there was a temporary infestation of the Giant Water Bugs and the second time when I visited Sapan Hin market with a food critic from the United Kingdom.


 I have decided to take a fresher look at this type of dining – and the fact that the UN recently produced a report that Bugs may be our next diet.
(http://www.fao.org/docrep/018/i3253e/i3253e00.htm)

Willy has the best site to outline all the different tastes that these special animals have so I would have to say that he is my mentor with this - all hail to Willy. Have a look at his post for a description of all them.


Giant Water Bugs (Mang Da Na)


Silk Worms (Nhon Mhai)


Grasshoppers (Takatan)


Mini Crickets (Jing Reed Khai)


Bamboo Worms (Rod Duan)

There are more insects but I could stay around long enough to take photographs - Crickets (Jing Reed), Red Ants and Eggs (Mod Daeng / Kai Mod Daeng), I am sure that there are more though.

Me - I will eat none until I receive

25 shares on facebook
or
50 likes on facebook
or 
15 comments on this post
or
lots of money



So with the assistance of Russell from the local Sunset Bar – he will take the photographs for you I will have a go at each type.



This is the final time I will mention this.


and others - usually in reference to the Weekend Market 

No comments:

Post a Comment